How to make a masala Old Fashioned Eggnog?
Christmas is not complete with this Drink!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for serving
- 4 cup whole milk, divided
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup dark rum, bourbon, or cognac
- Combine heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon,
nutmeg, and 2 cups milk in a medium
saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium
heat until tiny bubbles begin to appear
around the edge of the pot (do not let it
boil), 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and
let steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks with an electric
mixer on medium speed until combined.
Gradually beat in sugar and salt. Increase
speed to high and beat until thick and very
pale in color, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain spiced cream mixture, discarding
solids; return liquid to pot. Slowly beat 1 cup
warm cream mixture into yolk mixture on low
speed. Return to the pot with cream mixture.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly
with a rubber spatula, until mixture coats the
back of the spatula, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Place the pot over a large bowl filled with ice
water and let cool, stirring occasionally, until
chilled, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in rum,
bourbon, or cognac and the remaining 2 cups
- Just before serving, beat egg whites with an
electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 to 2
minutes; fold into eggnog. Serve topped with